Thursday, September 3, 2009

Post-Op Surgeon Visit #4

Today was my fourth post-op visit with the surgeon and three weeks and a day since my surgery. As you can see below the swelling is pretty much gone and I have been feeling really great. The surgeon gave me the okay to start running again (I had been running a little bit for the the past week on the sly, but not more than like 2-3 minutes at a time in the middle of my walks) which made me really excited. I think he could tell how psyched I was when he gave me the okay, and he made sure to quickly remind me not to overdue it and he warned me again that I may begin to swell again the first week or so when I begin running. This evening I went to the gym and ran and walked for an hour, getting in around 7 miles. It felt good to run again and two hours later I do not appear to be swollen at all. My next surgeon appointment is in 2 weeks.

I still have no feeling in my bottom lip, chin or on the insides of my mouth and gums. A few times in the past week I have accidentally chewed on my lip or the sides of my mouth when I am eating causing them to bleed so I have to be mindful of this when I start really eating again. I have been able to eat more soft foods lately but I can only open my mouth a few centimeters and I have to cut my food up so small to get it in my mouth which it really time consuming. It literally takes me about 4 times as long as normal to eat a meal. I also get very sore if I open my mouth too much and sometimes it is just easier to drink my meals, but I try to get in at least one non-liquid meal a day.

2 comments:

  1. Cutting up your food in tiny pieces reminds me of when I used to cut up "table" food for you children when you were just starting to eat. I wonder if the "gross" stuff on your tongue was "thrush" which again is what newborn babies sometimes get.

    You are beginning to look like my Emily again.

    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily is becoming much more Katy-like.

    ReplyDelete