Thursday, August 13, 2009

Mission Accomplished

It is 11AM on the 13th and I am already back home. I am not in any pain right now and actually feel pretty good, I am just super swollen (particularly my upper lip). Here is a recap of what I can remember from yesterday.

Jonathan and I went over to the hospital at 7AM so they could check me in. They brought me up to the Pre-OP area and told me that Jonathan had to leave. They brought me to my curtained room, I got dressed into my gown and they started an IV. The anesthesiologist came by as did my surgeon and some nurses came by to check my vital signs. I am not sure what time they wheeled me into the OR, I think it was around 8:30 or so.

When I woke up at 11AM, I was numb and had a bit of pain but it was really nothing unbearable. The worst part of the pain was in my throat, presumably from the breathing tube. Luckily, they had already removed my breathing tube and they had put ice packs on the sides of my face by the time I was awake. I drifted in and out of sleep till around 1:30 when they allowed Jonathan to come and sit with me. The nurses kept coming by and offering me water and morphine but I did not feel much like drinking and I was scared to take the morphine. At around 6PM Jonathan left to go have dinner and run some errands I decided to give in and get the morphine mostly so I could sleep. Jonathan came back around 7:30 or so and we just sat around and read until the nurse told him he would have to leave because they did not think I would get a private room. At around 9:30 they told me I would indeed be moved to a private room and I called Jonathan who came over and spent the night with me. The nurse came in at 11 to give me some antibacterial medicine through my IV and to give me some steroids to help with the swelling. she asked if I wanted pain medication (liquid vicodin) but opted just for some tylenol. I slept pretty well but needed to get up and go the bathroom every couple of hours.

This morning the surgeon came by and said I looked really good and he was shocked because he said not many patients looked that good so quickly after surgery. They discharged me at 9:30 and Jonathan and I headed over to the surgeons office to get some x-rays taken. He said the x-rays looked great and the bite was well aligned.

So now I am home and still feeling good. My bottom lip is enormous and the bottom part of my face is numb but I do not have any pain and have been drinking water and ginger ale. The surgeon said the pain and swelling may get worse as the steroids work their way out of my system in the next few days. Hopefully the pain wont be too bad.

And now for the good part, the pics. The top one is a profile picture taken 2 days before surgery. The bottom one is me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment