Saturday, August 22, 2009

Post-op orthodontic appointment #1

Yesterday was my first post-op appointment with my orthodontist. They took some x-rays which I will post as soon as they are loaded into my online account, but other than that nothing really to report. My orthodontist (who actually had the same surgery herself 10 years ago) told me that the numbness in my lip and chin could take up to 6 months to subside and that she still has a tiny spot on her face that failed to regain feeling. She also told me that I should be eating solid food again in about 3 weeks. We took a look at the x-rays and did a side by side with the pre-surgery x-rays. My bite looks almost perfect and she showed me how repositioning the bones will end up giving me a much nicer shape to my chin in the long-term.

One thing I did not know is that there is actually more than 1 screw on each side of my jaw. There appear to be three on the right side and I can only imagine a similar number on the left. Someone asked me the other day what the actual surgery was and instead of trying to explain it I have put a picture above. (I had the mandibular saggital split only, not a lefort osteotomy or a genioplasty). They essentially split the lower jaw right near where your wisdom teeth are (or should be), advance the jaw and then fix the bone in the proper position with screws. The only cuts that are made are tiny incisions on the jawline.

Other than that, not much else. The infection seems to be clearing up and the swelling has gone way down. I have an appointment with the surgeon on Monday and am going to ask him if it will be okay for me to go back to work sometime this coming week.

No comments:

Post a Comment