Monday, August 17, 2009

Post-op visit and weight loss

I had my first post-op visit with the surgeon today. He said I looked great and that he was very happy with the way I was progressing. He said he would like to see the swelling go down a bit more, and that tomorrow I can stop taking that awful anti-bacterial medicine that tastes and smells like dirty cat litter. The one thing I liked about that medicine is that I had taken to chasing it with a chocolate creme mix which instantly made me feel great. He removed my stitches and scheduled me to come back in a week at which time he will teach me how to remove the bands so that I can begin to use a spoon to eat. That will mean I can add mashed potatoes and really soft pasta to my diet, however, that doesn't really excite me much cause those things are much more bland than the food I have been eating. I actually kind of like eating all sorts of fresh fruits and vegetables blended into soups and smoothies.

But then again there is the downside of all these veggies and fruits: the weight loss. They had indicated to me prior to the surgery that I should expect to lose anywhere between 5-8 lbs during my recovery. The surgeon suggested today that I weigh myself to be sure that I was getting enough calories so after I came home Jonathan drove me to the gym to check my weight. We had a little bet going about what my weight was going to be and since I have been winning quite a few bets with him these days (we bet on the PGA yesterday and on the men's 10K at the track and field championships today) I thought I would win this one for sure. Turns out we were both very wrong. He bet a 4 lb weight drop while I was a bit more conservative and bet 2 lbs. The actual loss: 5.5 lbs. That gives me a BMI of 18.6, just borderline underweight. So now I am trying to come up with ways to make milkshakes even more fattening for fear of dropping anymore lbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment